BOGO Chicken and Veggie Pasta (while nearly setting the house on fire)

3:56 PM

I've never been much of a cook. I suppose that is what happens when you come from a very long line of "cooks" on both sides of your family yet show little interest in food aside from eating it. Having a professional Chef turned caterer for a sister doesn't help either.

When Will and I first got married me cooking dinner meant putting a frozen pizza in the oven or browning ground beef for a taco kit. I would always say that my family members could throw 5 ingredients in one pan and make a five course meal... and I was not like them! My Dad would remind me that no one starts out a well rounded cook and something about having a family and kids brings it out. He was right. After several years of trial and error and whole lot of experimentation, I've become a semi accomplished cook with many "recipes" (for real though... with an ingredients list and instructions and all). I now actually have a handful of dishes I've created, too!

Pasta is always my staple food. Whenever there is "nothing to eat" and I really need to go to the grocery store... there is ALWAYS pasta! The recipe I'm sharing is one of my "own"... though I really think every pasta variation ever has already been created, so I don't know how much credit I can take...



I call this my "BOGO Chicken and Veggie Pasta". Why? Well, it has chicken, veggies, pasta, and everything was BOGO at Publix!

The main ingredients you will need are:
1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (not pictured)
1 bag of spinach
1 box of Penne pasta
1 can of diced tomatos
1 small can of black, sliced olives (a large can is pictured... but I used half)
1 "Savory Garlic" Philadelphia Cooking Cream
6 ozs of grated parmesan cheese

In a medium pot, boil water for pasta. In a Large skillet, heat 2 tbsps of olive oil.

Thinly slice your chicken into bite sized pieces. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic salt.

Cook pasta according to package directions. Cook chicken over medium heat until done.

Open and drain your tomatos and olives

Add the entire bag of spinach to the cooked chicken. Cover and cook 2-3 minutes or until the spinach is wilted.

Add to the chicken/spinach mixture your tomatos, olives, and cooking cream.

Drain your pasta and put it in a LARGE bowl.

Cook your Chicken & Veggie mix for 2-3 minutes or until the cream has melted. It should be a tad soupy due to the moisture from the wilted spinach.

Combine your chicken & veggie mix with your pasta and mix well. Stir in 6 oz of parmesan cheese. Sprinkle and extra dash or two of garlic salt over the top.
Stir.

The pasta is so fabulous tasting and can be served hot or cold.

If you want to get extra fancy, you can make some "loaf-bread garlic bread"

Here's how:

Take 5 slices of regular "sandwich" or "loaf" bread.

Cut in half corner to corner to make triangles.

Spread your triangles out on a baking sheet.

Brush on melted butter (I use about 3 tbsps)

Sprinkle your buttered bread with garlic salt (be generous, but not dramatic) and a teensy bit of parmesan cheese.

Place baking sheet under oven broiler for 1-2 minutes.

WATCH IT CAREFULLY OR YOU WILL END UP WITH THIS:

funny side story: I'm making this dinner. Will has Liam in the bath. As I put the bread under the broiler I go back to the bathroom to check on them. I end up talking my head of to Will and Liam about Lord knows what. Will decides I can finish Liam's bath so I take over. As Will leaves the room he shouts "WHAT ARE YOU BURNING!?"
I freak. I totally forgot the toast!
I go to rush out of the bathroom.
crap.
DON'T leave the baby alone in the tub, Leah!
Smoke detectors begin BLARING!
and this is no lovely chirp... think high school pee your pants the world is ending smoke detector screech.
drain baby bath.
snatch soaked baby from water and smother with towel... not sure whose towel or where I got it. All I know is it was NOT a baby towel and it may or may not have been clean.
Run with naked baby to kitchen which is FILLED with nasty smoke.
Oven is open.
Husband and Bread are missing.
Turn oven off.
Open windows.
Turn on bathroom and range fans.
cough, cough, cough
BABY, LEAH!
Dress baby and prop him in front of brain rotting iPad.
Find husband outside feeding SCORCHED toast to dogs... poor dogs.
Apparently I missed some KILLER flames coming out of the oven... I only witnessed the blackened aftermath!

ANYWAYS...
just be careful with the broiler!
This is what your garlic toast should look like!!

The dish cost me (Remember, BOGO! and coupons) about $7.00 and fed 6 adult people.

I hope you love it as much as we did!!

Enjoy!


You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. That looks way good! I love creamy pasta sauces. And oh my, I couldn't help but laugh at your story, haha! At least you had your wits about you enough to take a picture. :)

    ReplyDelete