We SURVIVED!

8:27 AM

Yesterday was day numero uno of Stay At Home Mom... FOR REAL!

Photobucket

Will went back to work yesterday and I was at home, ALONE with the wee babe. We survived.

I hate to use the word dreading in reference to my child, but I really was dreading being at home alone with him. Don't get me wrong, I do everything for him regardless of who is here or not here! There is just something about a second set of hands & ears or just another warm body in general that comforts me. I literally watch TV and volume level TWO because I'm terrified of him crying and me not hearing him. I'm also scared of a massive screaming fit or choking about the time I sit my fanny on a toilet... stupid fears? Most definitely.

The day began at 3:30 am. I have an extremely fussy eater (more coming in another post), which makes everything from eating to sleeping to pooping (ummm, the only things babies ever do) extremely difficult. I was seriously thankful for any sleep at all.

Will left for work around 8:00 (LATE!) and the kid and I were on our own!

He did what all good babies do for stressed out mothers. He cried and fussed ALL DAY! He was in his bed several times after I would finally get him to sleep, but for no more than 10-15 minutes at a time. Basically long enough for me to use the bathroom or eat. I can not put him down without him getting fussy again! I keep telling him that I cannot hold him all day, but I do believe he has the advantage and will win this battle. The only thing I "accomplished" was putting a load of clothes in the dryer and washing bottles.

The morning hours consisted of a bath, eating frequently, and lots of crying.

Photobucket
I told him bad babies get eaten by alligators, but he didn't believe me...


Lunch? Yeah Right...

I decided I was going to run some errands that afternoon. I wanted to go and pay a bill and go to Target. Looking back, I know these plans were quite far fetched, but I was determined to get out of the house on my own.

I dressed Liam and myself. I completely skipped hair and makeup... I just put real people clothes on and called myself ready. I gathered the car seat, diaper bag, and purse. Liam got fussy AGAIN, so I thought I would be smart and go ahead and feed him a little early, that way he would be quiet during our adventures. Seemed like a good idea at the time...

At exactly the moment he suckled the last drops from his bottle he made a horrific face, rounded out his mouth, and projectile vomited all over both of us and the car seat, diaper bag, and purse.

Fabulous.

I changed BOTH of us and cleaned everything the vomit reached. Now we are ready. Into the car seat without a hitch... maybe this won't be so bad after all?

Photobucket


I got us out the door and locked it. I feel that is an important statement. At this point my brain is so fried that remembering to lock the front door is monumental.

I put Liam and our luggage in the car and got both of us buckled in snuggly.

Turned the Key... ree, ree, ree, ree, ree, ree, ree... that's the sound my car made.

Do I use profanity? Do I cry? What happens now??

I unpacked the kid and the luggage, called Will and vented about my stupid, old, cranky car not running, and then the kid and I took a walk.

In case you don't know, walks are fab for fussy babies. There have already been days where the only way I can get him to stop crying is to put him in the stroller and go for a walk. Maybe it's the fresh air or the movement of the stroller, "C" both, "D" none of the above? Who Knows. What I do know is that he SLEEPS so peacefully on walks... not to mention I break a sweat! Pre-pregnancy jeans here I come!

Photobucket


After our walk, my sweet sister Elizabeth stopped by and visited with us. It was nice to have a conversation with someone who can actually converse, no offense Liam. She also had a correct feeling that my first day on my own would be a little stressful, so she brought dinner. Rotisserie Chicken, Green Beans, Pasta Salad, and OREOS! She knows me too well! She also brought the most beautiful autumn bouquet of flowers!

Photobucket
How Beautiful!
Photobucket


Photobucket
So pretty in my dining "nook"


After she left we were back to very fussy baby. Near the end of my rope, I called the pediatrician. I spent nearly 20 minutes on the phone with THE SWEETEST NURSE EVER. She was so fabulous. I poured out all of my cranky babies flaws and she gave me wonderful advice AND (even better) formula samples! HOORAY! Though I couldn't pick them up because, you guessed it, the car won't start.

I called my mother who just so happened to be in town and she picked them up and brought them to me. Momma saves the day again!

Dare I say it, the new formula has kicked out fussy baby and brought my sweet little Liam back! YAY!

and then... DADDY CAME HOME! :) another savior!

Dinner - check
Liam Quiet - check
Shower for Mom - check
Liam Sleeping - check

Hooray for the end to a crazy day!!

For those of you wondering, I actually made it to pay that bill and to target today! We survived that too :)

I'm working on Liam's Birth Story and my Postpartum Story AND Liam's Feeding Fiasco Story... because I know you're all wondering what has gone on the past 10 days! SO, check back!

Some bebe pics for parting...

Photobucket
Mom and Dad are so boring!


Photobucket
My handsome man!


Photobucket
Ready to go for a ride!


Photobucket
Oh, baby acne!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Congratulations! Liam is beautiful! And also congrats on getting through your first day as a SAHM. (It terrifies me as well.) I can't wait to read your birth story!

    P.S. I looked myself up on that website you mentioned. Thankfully, I'm not there! Yay for common names and for being 1 in 8 million!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome..go you!

    Liam looks so adorable in that striped getup (well in everything but what is it about little boys in stripes?

    cant wait to read the birth story. I still can't believe I missed 'the birth'

    stupid new Google Reader

    ReplyDelete