The Nursery Saga Part ONE: Making an Old Dresser New

7:52 AM

I procrastinated horrendously in getting Liam's Nursery ready. Baby Furniture (really, all furniture) is ridiculously expensive! Luckily I'm Thrifty, it just takes some extra time and patience!

When he was born, the only item we really lacked was a dresser. I was on the lookout for something to refinish or something inexpensive. I had stalked the Thrift Store and searched the clearance sections of every store in entered. No Luck.

While cleaning out one of several buildings on his property, my Dad found a dresser that he was willing to give to us.

Woot!

When he brought it by, this is what we got...

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


YIKES!

This dresser is ridiculously old! My Dad got it second hand from a friend of the family TWENTY years ago, and it was old then. He refinished it lovely pink and white for mine and my sister Elizabeth's childhood bedroom. It has been sitting in storage for over ten years now.

Am I in over my head? To the avid furniture refinisher, this is probably no big thing... I; however, have never refinished anything. ever.

I sort of lucked out... being in the insane state of life that is "Postpartum" and running around with a fussy, cranky baby, I got out of the labor intensive work (haha, because I already did my "Labor"... ba-dum-bum, I'll be here all week!)

My sweet, sweet husband stripped and sanded... and stripped and sanded... and stripped and sanded. This old thing lost about 4 inches in PAINT!

He also had to add the missing piece of wood to the front under the bottom drawer!

Liam's room is red, black, and grey. His other furniture is a dark espresso wood which was extremely difficult to match, so we decided on Red.

Lots and lots of wood filler later, we primed and then painted. Will bought a inexpensive paint, so we wound up having to put on several coats. In the end though, I think it turned out nice. We had talked about black hardware to go with the room, but I loved the original porcelain knobs that were on the dresser, so we reused those.

Photobucket


Photobucket


I loved the red so much, we painted an old nightstand the same to go next to the rocking chair.

Before:

Photobucket


After:

Photobucket


Jonah thinks it looks great!

Photobucket


It's a simple refinish, but I am super proud of it! I adore how it turned out!

I'm linking this project up today at Perfectly Imperfect!

You Might Also Like

0 comments