Pregnancy is working against me!

11:10 AM

I <3 John Mayer. For Real. I saw him in concert once...

John Mayer in concert @ BJCC Birmingham, AL Feb 2010
Photo by Sorella Photography

John Mayer in concert @ BJCC Birmingham, AL Feb 2010
Photo by Sorella Photography

The Shower always channels my inner musical guru. Something about shampooing my hair brings forth song lyrics from random songs... I'll never fully understand from where or why. My most recent cleaning routine was set to John Mayer's "Gravity". While washing the now unavoidable baby bump, my musical guru one-upped John Mayer by changing his lyrics from Gravity to Pregnancy. The reality of my current life situation is Pregnancy is working against me and Pregnancy wants to bring me down.

Today I am 34 weeks and 2 days. Yes, each day is that significant. This is my first child, so I have had absolutely NO IDEA what to expect. Don't get me wrong, I heard people talk about the things they experienced during pregnancy and how good or bad it was, but there is no better explanation than to experience it for yourself. I heard about heartburn, being uncomfortable, getting kicked in the ribs... I don't recall anyone telling me that my body would start a revolution against itself. It's like World War 3 right here in my 5'4" frame. EVERYTHING is swollen and stretched to capacity and there is no position that is remotely comfortable. I have an itching desire to clean everything, but my body can barely handle any activity that requires more than existing. My feet definitely can not handle the extra 30 pounds I am carrying around and stay swollen and red. Pitting Edema, Shin Splints, and Cankles are the latest additions to my once normal legs. My face looks like it's been inflated and even my sinuses are so swollen that I am constantly congested and have an ear ache. I could go ON and ON about all of the horrendous things going on in my body. I've actually resorted to calling my innocent fetus a terrorist because of the terror he is inflicting on my body! His alligator death rolls look like something off the Sci-Fi Channel... I feel like any moment now a camera crew will be filming me and an alien will burst forth from my abdomen.

All of these miserable feelings remind me daily that God is indeed a genius. 40 weeks is exactly enough time to not only prepare for a baby's arrival, but to literally LONG FOR IT! My feelings about delivery and having a new baby have shifted from nervousness, and fear to readiness and peace. Not sleeping is misery, but it has been a gradual process and I know my body is preparing for a complete lack of sleep once the baby gets here. My currently revolting body is setting me up for relief once the baby arrives. Whenever he is ready (within a safe time... like after 36 weeks!), I'm ready!!

...Maybe one day HAPPY, not always complaining Leah will come back... SOON I hope :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments